At the risk of irritating a fellow ScienceBlogger again, I thought I’d point out this little post forwarded to me by Norm Jenson as yet another example of exactly the inflated hype for dichloroacetate as a “cure for cancer” that will “never see the light of day” because it has little profit potential (and, by the way, that pharmaceutical companies will “probably lobby against it with all their might”) that I was talking about in my original post on the subject.
I should have taken a Î²-blocker before clicking on the link.
Given the level of silly rhetoric in the post above and even despite the fact that near the end he stops ranting and suggests that there should be some sort of program to support the development of unpatentable drugs, a not unreasonable suggestion that runs jarringly counter to all the conspiracy-mongering and “cure for cancer” hyperbole that led up to it (ooops, sorry, I’m not supposed to label DCA hyping-bloggers attacking big pharma as “conspiracy mongers,” “ignorant,” or “hysterical” anymore), hopefully, no one will be too annoyed with me for introducing this particular blogger, one Oren Goldschmidt, to Orac’s cluestick from last week. Don’t worry; it won’t hurt him. After all, as I’ve explained before, it’s just a mini-truncheon, given that I’m only a microfascist when it comes to the evidence.
There. I feel better now.
ADDENDUM: Looks like the cluestick (or someone else’s cluestick, anyway) got to another one, if the “Editor’s Note” on this awful article that I mentioned before is any indication. Unfortunately, Dean Esmay, as he is when it comes to his HIV/AIDS denialism and vitamin C woo, remains, as usual, utterly immune to the cluestick.
ADDENDUM: Walnut has posted his critique on Daily Kos as well.
All Orac posts on DCA:
- In which my words will be misinterpreted as “proof” that I am a “pharma shill”
- Will donations fund dichloroacetate (DCA) clinical trials?
- Too fast to label others as “conspiracy-mongers”?
- Dichloroacetate: One more time…
- Laying the cluestick on DaveScot over dichloroacetate (DCA) and cancer
- A couple of more cluesticks on dichloroacetate (DCA) and cancer
- Where to buy dichloroacetate (DCA)? Dichloroacetate suppliers, even?
- An uninformative “experiment” on dichloroacetate
- Slumming around The DCA Site (TheDCASite.com), appalled at what I’m finding
- Slumming around The DCA Site (TheDCASite.com), the finale (for now)
- It’s nice to be noticed
- The deadly deviousness of the cancer cell, or how dichloroacetate (DCA) might fail
- The dichloroacetate (DCA) self-medication phenomenon hits the mainstream media
- Dichloroacetate (DCA) and cancer: Magical thinking versus Tumor Biology 101
- Checking in with The DCA Site
- Dichloroacetate and The DCA Site: A low bar for “success”
- Dichloroacetate (DCA): A scientist’s worst nightmare?
- Dichloroacetate and The DCA Site: A low bar for “success” (part 2)
- “Clinical research” on dichloroacetate by TheDCASite.com: A travesty of science
- A family practitioner and epidemiologist are prescribing dichloracetate (DCA) in Canada
- An “arrogant medico” makes one last comment on dichloroacetate (DCA)
Posts by fellow ScienceBlogger Abel Pharmboy:
- The dichloroacetate (DCA) cancer kerfuffle
- Where to buy dichloroacetate…
- Local look at dichloroacetate (DCA) hysteria
- Edmonton pharmacist asked to stop selling dichloroacetate (DCA)
- Four days, four dichloroacetate (DCA) newspaper articles
- Perversion of good science
- CBC’s ‘The Current’ on dichloroacetate (DCA)